Wednesday, June 17, 2015

"DADDY DID IT" -- A FATHER'S DAY TRIBUTE

Daddy Did It! Poignant remembrances of my father on this Father's Day flood my heart and eyes with endearing tears. I will share just two: Daddy stepped up and drove our first-ever, black awareness float in the 1968 Fourth of July parade in Webster Groves Missouri, near St. Louis. This first-time foray for black community residents of the Webster Groves, Missouri School District, resulted in Daddy receiving a ticket in the mail, two weeks later, from the City of Webster for reckless and imprudent driving. This was in spite of the fact that the white policeman had deliberately rammed into us, to prevent us from joining that parade. The black and white communities rallied to Daddy's defense, due to this injustice. The black community posted Daddy's bond, and the white community furnished a top-flight lawyer, who later became Missouri Bar President. At the ensuing trial, in Municipal Court of Webster Groves, we won! Case dismissed! That experience inspired me to go to law school. Daddy did it! Another time, in October 1969, I lost my meal ticket at Howard U. my freshman year. I called home. Mom and Daddy said "No! You stay there. Somehow, we will get the money." Was I shocked when just five days later, I got a registered letter from home containing $250! This wholly unexpected gift came to me in my Cook Hall dorm room. Mind you, Howard's tuition was only a mere $200 a semester back then. Mind you again, I was the eldest of 8 kids in St. Louis, whose parents made only minimum wages at work. But, Daddy had other skills, like bricklaying, asphalting, painting, etc. So, what he had done, I later learned, was to find a private contracting job, putting in a patio or driveway and they sent me the proceeds. Amazing. Daddy did it, again! So, on this Father's Day, I salute my Earthly father, ELVIS MITCHELL COLEMAN, who in obedience to the will of my Heavenly Father, made a way for me to stay in school, and thereby to secure a pathway for my younger siblings, all of whom later attended colleges, confidently, knowing that, come what may, Daddy was always there and would always be there! Daddy did it (and Mama too)! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL DADDYS, FATHERS & PAPPAS!