Friday, July 13, 2018

PERSONAL INSECURITIES

PERSONAL INSECURITIES As if the external punishment and pain of being dark-skinned were itself not bad enough, many dark-skinned African Americans have had, also, to contend with baneful internal punishment and pain from their own race, in their own family! I know whereof I speak being a dark-skinned man, having endured it, and having overcome its gravity . If I may speak for myself, I had to battle with it into my adolescence, when my mobility, my literary agility helped me to see me, for who I am, rather than how others saw me; to love myself, first; thereby inviting the love of others unto me, and to know God as and for myself, apart from the multiple imposters that were foisted upon me in the images of others who did not resemble me! Dark-skinned people were God's primal people! Chosen people! First people. If dark-skinned people are ever to overcome their unfortunate degradation, they too must repel this incubus, that bogey man of "colorism" that binds aspirations, imagination, liberating initiations! But being dark-skinned is not alone among the banes of our mortality. There are always others that are secretly hidden in all people. It may be their "whiteness" or handicap or poverty or their personal or family history. Insecurities discomfort all! Amen 🙏