Wednesday, December 9, 2015

MICHAEL HARRIS, ESQ,, MY FRIEND

MICHAEL HARRIS, Esq., my friend Michael Harris, Esq., my dearly departed friend, from Chicago, Illinois, has filtered through my mind recently in no particular context, just generally, persistently there, awaiting acknowledgement. Hello, Michael, how are you ? Michael was already a campus legend , when I arrived at Howard in August 1969, my freshman year. He was the preeminent militant on the yard. Being of a like disposition myself, I had noticed him in a social context, of some other brothers, "vibing," seriously, as such bloods were wont to do, back in the day. Of course, I wrote about what I saw, there and elsewhere, about "the yard," somewhat obliquely, as a "Concerned Freshman" in a Letter to the Editor in THE HILLTOP, our weekly student newspaper. Mentioning no names, only clues, its impact was immediate! Michael came to my dorm and introduced himself to me. That was how we met, and over the years became fast friends and compatriots. Despite a gruff exterior he was a warm, witty, personable guy, who was supremely eloquent. In fact, I called him "Old Man Eloquent." He confided that his family consisted of Chicago Police Officers, and that he had gone to a premiere Catholic High School, with Mayor Daley's son as a classmate. At Michael's apartment one evening, pursuant to invitation, Dick Gregory dropped by, who told us that the pyramids were built from the top-down ! Michael was the consummate black power organizer, who had come to prominence with the Administration Building takeover in 1968; and later the campus-wide shut-down in 1970, after the Kent State and Jackson State student killings by Ohio National Guardsmen and Jackson, Mississippi police. Michael also related the history to us of the old advocates who had gone before that had graduated already or has otherwise left, like Stokely, Lou Myers, Courtland Cox. His closest male associates were "Smooth" Sam Wallace of Brooklyn, New York, and Gary Ayers, who rarely smiled. These three men could muster: Money, troops. Passion. And target it precisely! Michael became 1971's student body President, running a political party called "The Family." He also was involved in creating free bus trips for dozens of Howard students to Newark, New Jersey; Birmingham, Alabama ; and Greenwood, Mississippi in 1970-1971, respectively, for helping in political campaigns for blacks. After I graduated in 1973, I was surprised to see that Michael had joined me at Howard Law School, since he was already ahead of me. Anyway, we both graduated from that history laden school in 1976. Thereafter our paths parted. A few years later he died back home in Chicago of an illness . Great man. Great friend. Michael Harris. Rest in peace, my brother.