Tuesday, November 3, 2009

La Napa: The Gift of "Good Hair"

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/leonard-pitts/story/1309381.html

This above-linked column by Leonard Pitts, LET'S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT: YOUR HAIR DOESN'T HAVE TO BE, (11/3/2009) caused me to shriek with recognition and to weep with love.

He writes about black women. And their hair, and about Chris Rock's powerful movie, GOOD HAIR. Surely, good hair must be like "Pure wool." Dan. 7:9. http://nasb.scripturetext.com/daniel/7.htm

My wife and I attended the movie on Halloween night: trick or treat? Definitely a treat. I encourage you all to see it! It will righteously stimulate your follicles!

The last three paragraphs of his column rank with any hymn to love ever written to any woman by any man at any time or place. It hit me in my solar plexus, and made me sputter, because I know, recognize, love, and revere the beautiful women of which he writes: my wife, my mother, my sisters, my aunts, my cousins, my nieces, and my grandmothers.

We are the only people on the planet with nappy hair. We are also the progenitors of mankind and civilization. Our women, nappy hair and all, are the mothers of all humans. The Spanish have a word for "the gift," entitled "la Napa." So, nappy hair is a "gift" from God, just like its bearer "la Negro," another Spanish word, meaning "black", which comes from its Latin root, "Niger."