Friday, July 24, 2020

IN PRAISES OF ELDER SIBLINGS

In praise of elder siblings. We learn a lot from older siblings. I did anyway. My big brother Buddy was my ace boon coon! He taught me many things from his Gary, Indiana, perspective . Women, dancing, signifying, gang banging, sex, boxing. Buddy’s real name was Elvis Mitchell Coleman, jr. He wore a process a/k/a a “conk” as a teenager. He was a player! I met Buddy, for the first time, in 1957. I was six. Buddy was twelve. He and Hazel, Buddy’s big sister and mine were born to Daddy’s first wife, Inez, who died in childbirth . They lived with their maternal grandparents in Gary; attended Roosevelt High School “The mighty Velt”. Daddy took us to Mississippi to visit his parents, after they first arrived. We had big fun and high adventure in the country, including being saved by Big Mama from the dogs! The dogs were trained to protect the hogs that me and Buddy were irritating with corncobs laying about for amusement. We barely made it safely onto the screened-in back porch before Big Mama shooed the growling dogs away with her flapping apron and her voice ! Hazel Jean was a pretty girl. I was not as close to her as I was Buddy, because she was a girl. Girls hung with girls. Guys with guys in those days. But music was one thing that we could all collaborate on. They loved Ike and Tina Turner—“Darling? Yes, Tina? It’s starting to get next to me!” Of course, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler , Jackie Wilson, the Sherrelle’s and more were worn out on the record player! My beloved brother Buddy is now gone. And my lovely sister Hazel is as lovely as ever. I feel their spirits whirling around. I offer this encomium in love to them both.