Monday, July 8, 2019

SUMMER SOLSTICE

SUMMER SOLSTICE SOLICITATIONS "When Last I Stopped Here" is one of my most personal spiritual poems. It describes the seasonal changes around a bus stop near Washington, D. C., in Bladensburg, Maryland, where I lived as a senior at Howard and freshman at Howard Law School in the year 1972-73-- "When last I stopped here; No ivy encircled this old oak tree; the wet ground sent no sweet fragrances up to me; and nary a butterfly did I see; when last I stopped here." That sentimental moment in time and space with nature mirrors a similar moment in time, space and nature today that is also now past. This morning when I awoke, I just happened to notice that the rays of piercing sunshine which had fallen for several days upon my face--necessitating that I close my door--had gone. No more ritual 6:30 am solar reveille for me. I woke at 8:00. For a few days following the solar solstice, June 20-21, the sunlight had streamed into my study's windows. Its rays had bounced off mounted picture frames at precisely exact angles to enter my bedroom door, splashing their divine morning glories into my sleeping face. Laser-like light beamed into my closed eyelids, drilled deeply into my somnolent consciousness. Insistently, they had demanded that I obey the lyrical reggae order and commands of famed "Third World" musicians who had rhythmically crooned : "Wake up! Get up! Stand up for your rights! Wake up ! Get up ! Don't give up the fight! Don't give up the fight !" Hello World! I am fully awakened by grace and mercy on July 8, 2019. Amen.