Saturday, November 10, 2012


"WITNESS” TO OBAMA’S FIRST INAUGURATION

By Larry Delano Coleman, Esq.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

 

 

My wife and I drove from Kansas City, Missouri, to Washington, D.C. to partake in the epochal inauguration of Illinois Senator, Barack Hussein Obama, as the first black President of the United States in January 2009.

 

We spent the first night in St. Louis with childhood friends.  Departing early the next morning, I glanced at, and was recognized by, my third grade “girl friend,” Gail, now, herself, a school teacher, in a QT convenience store/gas station coffee aisle. I had not seen her, easily, since the 1960s.  My joyous reunion with Gail and her adult daughter was compounded by my discovery that, they, too, were meeting family members to drive to D.C. for the historic inaugural.  We were both amazed and reassured by this double coincidence.

 

The drive was uneventful, even restful--as my wife, Lyla, did most of the driving--until nightfall found us on Highway 70 near its conjunction with Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, where it began to snow and sleet and rain, so heavily, the lane dividers disappeared and visibility, too.  We had a choice to make: take the Pennsylvania Turnpike with its narrow lanes and steep ascents and descents through the Allegheny Mountains; or drop down into West Virginia and take our chances with that flatter, southern route through the same mountains. We took the southern route, and spent the night in southern Pennsylvania, 20 miles from West Virginia in a warm motel.

 

The next morning we arrived in the District of Columbia, via Silver Spring, Maryland, on Sunday, January 19.  Driving down “sweet” Georgia Avenue, toward northwest Washington, nostalgia overwhelmed me; I was being mysteriously summoned to “The Yard,” my alma mater, Howard University, “The Capstone of Negro Education.”  Relenting to the spirit, I rolled onto main campus, past the security guard station, which kindly waved me in, after looking at the mud on my car, my Missouri tags, and that “don’t you know me” look in my confident eyes.  Cars, as usual, were parked everywhere.  But as fate, and the good Lord, would have it, we found the perfect spot.  We then headed for Cramton Auditorium to see what was up.

 

Unbeknown to us, the Right Reverend Jeremiah Wright, former pastor of Chicago’s Trinity United Church of Christ, and confidante of Barack Obama, was just about to preach, when we entered the overflowing vestibule.  This was too wonderful to imagine.  Others, we later learned, had been redirected to three different overflow facilities, so massive were the earlier crowds.  But, our timing was exquisite.  We walked right in.  We were blessed as Rev. Wright, also a Howard alumnus, preached “till my dungeon shook, and my chains fell off”.

 

Leaving Howard, we retrieved “Silver” Inauguration tickets, and logistical information, from the Capitol Hill office of our Congressman, the Honorable Emmanuel Cleaver II, Democrat from Kansas City, Missouri, who had kindly befriended us.  Thereafter, we drove to 13th and “U” Street, N. W. , to Ben’s Chili Bowl, in a vain attempt to procure a legendary half-smoke, newly popularized--indeed sanctified--by an unannounced, but televised, visit of President-Elect Barack Obama during the previous week.  The line was too long to get in, so we shopped among the outdoor vendors at a nearby Ethiopian flea-market, where all things Obama were on sale.  After purchasing a few items, we headed to Northeast Washington to the residence of my late mother’s first cousin, Edward Merriweather, our obliging host.

 

Edward and his wife, Clementine, both retired school teachers, are natives of Canton, Mississippi, also my birth place.  Their sense of family and hospitality are overwhelming.  They spoiled us.  We certainly did not lack for anything.  Providentially, we resided only three blocks from the D.C. Armory subway station, our means of transportation to and from the inauguration at the Capitol.

 

The morning before the inauguration, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday, I attended a Howard University Law School Alumni Association luncheon,  at Marriott Hotel, 14th and Pennsylvania, N.W., where I  delivered the invocation, which was keynoted by Congressman Gregory Meeks of New York, who was a year behind me at law school.  The empty seat on the dais next to me was to have been occupied by Illinois Senator Roland Burris, another Howard Law alumnus, but he did not appear.  At the luncheon, I was pleased to see my good friends, and Howard Law graduates Kamau King, Kwame Osei Reed, Donald Thigpen, and Robert Bell, all NBA stalwarts, among others. That evening we finally got our half-smokes from Ben’s!

 

Finally, the day of reckoning arrived.  We had been warned to arrive early due to record crowds.  We heeded that advice, but it did not matter.  The crowd was prehensile, contiguous, viscous, alive.  Getting to one’s designated area was an act of grace, subject to fluid dynamics.  The logistics were designed to effectuate the very diverse crowd’s control, not to expedite movement, nor to differentiate among ticket holders.  No official knew anything about anything, except “keep moving.”  After hopelessly battling the Mall crowd for 4 hours, and finally being blocked by a phalanx of mounted police, I had a choice to make:  stand where I was and see and hear nothing pertaining to President Obama , in the cold. Or, catch the subway back to my cousin’s house, where food, beverages, warmth, a television and a front-row seat awaited me.  Hello, Brother Obama!  And good-bye, my brother!  I booked.

 

Headed back to the subway station, I encountered my lovely wife, standing in yet, another  long serpentine queue, of course.  Serendipitously, I had somehow passed her in route to the National Mall, even though she had caught the train, before me.  When I told her I was headed back to Edward’s home, owing to the lack of accessibility for “silver” ticket holders, she declined my invitation to return, and ignored my admonition about lack of access, and stuck it out.  She claims that she ended up hearing, but not seeing anything, being blocked by a tree near the wading pool.  As for me, I saw and heard; ate and drank; was warm and well-seated, enjoying instant replay.

 

God bless America, and to each his own!

 

Below are links to some photos of our beautiful First Family: