Saturday, December 21, 2013

OF CHITLINS AND CHURCH FOLK

Of Chitlins and Church Folk Friday, December 17, 2010 By LARRY DELANO COLEMAN I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ (Rom. 1:16, Mark 8:38). Neither am I ashamed of being an Itinerant Elder in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Nor am I ashamed of “chitlins”—or, more formally, chitterlings, a/k/a, “wrinkles”—hog intestines, which have been thoroughly cleaned, thoroughly seasoned, and thoroughly cooked. This soul food delicacy has its roots in our southern slave heritage, when our inventive women found a way to feed us from what white folks threw away. If it wasn’t “high on the hog,” they’d give it to us. And we’d take full advantage of it! http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ChitlinsHistory.htm Now, admittedly, there probably are some so-called Christians who shrink from boldly confessing Christ as Lord and Savior. There may be a few AME preachers who’d prefer keeping their affiliation quiet, i.e. “on the down low.” There certainly are a profusion of both so-called Christians and AME preachers who dislike and/or are downright disdainful of “chitlins.” Be that as it may. This article is not for them. It is only for those who can receive it, the few, the faithful, the unfettered, i.e.—those who love Jesus, the AME church and chitlins. Every Wednesday night, weather permitting, I engaged in Bible study at Gilbert Memorial A.M.E. Church, in Kansas City Missouri, Rev. Brenda Smith, pastor. Then, I had a stroke in July2010, which hospitalized me for nearly 3 months. Nevertheless, during my hospitalization and rehabilitation, Rev. Smith and her prayer warriors would call me on my cellphone and pray and read from the scriptures to me throughout the period of my convalescence. Well, I was discharged home in October 2010, still too weak to work, but able to matriculate, slowly, on a cane. Rev. Smith and her prayer band continued to call. Finally, the holidays were upon us: first, Thanksgiving; then, Christmas. The next time Wednesday rolled around, and Rev. Smith, et al. called to pray, I let them have it with both barrels. “Prayer is good, Reverend, “ I said. “It changes things. And I really do appreciate you all calling me so faithfully for Bible study. But, that’s all talk. And that’s all too many Christians want to do is talk! In 1 John 3, the Bible condemns folks who have the world’s goods, who see their brother has needs, and who don’t do nothing about it, but talk. That lady at your church that sells them dinners on Fridays, have her to call me. I want some chitlins. “ “Is that what you want, Reverend?” Rev. Smith asked me. “We can take care of that. We’ve been intending to come by and see you, anyway, since you came home. This gives us that opportunity!” My heart jumped for joy! My loving wife, though almost perfect in other respects, doesn’t like chitlins at all. So, I had no chitlins coming from her. But, the Lord had made a way! I told everybody I knew about this: my siblings, my uncle, my friends. And, now, Dear Reader, I’m telling you! God is able to put chitlins on the table! When the next Wednesday came back around, Rev. Brenda Smith and her Chief Steward, Donna Randolph, came over to our home for Bible study, and brought dinner with them. They brought chitlins, collard greens, candied yams, macaroni and cheese, corn bread, and meat loaf, all exquisitely prepared and presented. We feasted. We studied. We praised the Lord! Nothing like chitlins and church folk, in Jesus’ holy name! #30