Wednesday, June 6, 2018

MAMA'S DRIVING LESSON!

MAMA'S DRIVING LESSON! Mama was determined to learn how to drive our new 1956 Chevrolet . I had little choice, being aged 5, but to ride along with her, "Aunt" Roberta Watkins, our next door neighbor (and faux-aunt) who could not drive either, but who brought prayer and strong moral support for Mama and sister, Schleria, age 3. What I still most vividly recall of Mama's driving lesson in 1956 was that "bumpy-bump" ride, as she struggled with learning operations of a standard transmission, the hard way! I mean we rode down the streets going jerkety-jerk, and bumpety bump bump bump bump! The Lord only knows, how very glad to get home, I was; away from Mama's car driving! But, Mama learned! She drove that car and several other cars in later years, including teaching to me drive a standard transmission in my own first car, 1955 Pontiac @ 1966.  ("Mama," Mrs. Margie Dean Coleman, on the right ; Mrs. Cleopatra Anderson on the left; my first born son, Imhotep Coleman, at Imhotep's 2001 Howard University graduation dinner at Bea Smith's Restaurant in Washington , D. C., is flanked by both of his grandmothers, who both drove him.)