Sunday, May 17, 2015

LEARN AND APPLY MATH TO BE FREE

LEARN AND APPLY MATH! Back in the early 1980's, black history scholar, John G. Jackson of Chicago, Illinois, sent me a letter requesting that I find the volume of a certain cylinder. Flummoxed by his request and still more than a little bit intimidated by mathematics, I never even bothered to try to solve it, but remained curious as to his motivation all of these years. Today, while reading AFRICAN MATHEMATICS: HISTORY, TEXTBOOK AND CLASSROOM LESSONS by Robin Walker and John Matthews, (2014) I found that the "Rhind Mathematical Papyrus" from ancient Egypt contains "the earliest documented implied value for pi in a written document" (p.24) while learning, how, by formula, ancient Egyptians thousands of years ago, had found the volume of cylinders--Dr. Jackson's question to me! Dr. Jackson is the author of INTRODUCTION TO AFRICAN CIVILIZATIONS; MAN GOD AND CIVILIZATIONS; and CHRISTIANITY BEFORE CHRIST. He was my house guest in 1983, when he came to Kansas City to lecture at my invitation , when I was still actively promoting black history and knowledge by newsletter & lecturers. I think he was telling me that mathematical mastery is as much a part of black history as facts and dates, and that learning and applying math is our solution to what binds us!